- Maintains a compassionate environment for patient care.
- Maintains a safe and clean working environment
- Drawing blood from patients
- Assembles equipment (such as needles, blood collection devices, gauze, tourniquet, cotton, and alcohol)
- Verifies or records identity of patient or donor
- Converses with patients to allay fear of procedure
- Applies tourniquet to arm, locates vein, swabs area with disinfectant, and inserts needle into vein to draw blood into collection tube. (May also prick finger instead of inserting needle.)
- Labels and stores blood container for processing
- Tracks collected specimens
- Performs simple laboratory tests
- Maintains a safe and secure work environment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the principles of Phlebotomy.
- Must be able to Multi-task.
- Must be able to maintain a pleasant, courteous demeanor when dealing with patients, providers, other employees, the general public and other outside agencies.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Must have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Must have acceptable phlebotomy training and test completion.
- BLS certified