- Maintains a compassionate environment for patient care.
- Maintains a safe and clean working environment
- Drawing blood from patients
- Assembles equipment (such as needles, blood collection devices, gauze, tourniquet, cotton, and alcohol)
- Verifies or records identity of patient or donor
- Converses with patients to allay fear of procedure
- Applies tourniquet to arm, locates vein, swabs area with disinfectant, and inserts needle into vein to draw blood into collection tube. (May also prick finger instead of inserting needle.)
- Labels and stores blood container for processing
- Tracks collected specimens
- Performs simple laboratory tests
- Maintains a safe and secure work environment
- Performs data entry.
- Promptly provides blood draws and basic lab testing on assigned patients based on orders.
- Identifies and communicates abnormal patient conditions to Lab Supervisor in a timely manner.
- Communicates with patients, providers, X-ray and Lab and nursing staff.
Phlebotomy Certification or will train the right person.